If this is your first time playing with the Banyule Hawks, welcome! We are very pleased to have you as part of our community. The following information will help you navigate your first few weeks.
You will be sent an email with your assigned team. Teams are selected in accordance with our Team Selection policy. We will try to meet any requests you have, but please be aware, it is not always possible. If you have concerns about the team you were assigned, there will be instructions in the email on how to provide that feedback. Remember, basketball is a great way to make new friends.
When you receive your assigned team information, it will have details about your Coach, Team Contact and training time. Generally, the Team Contacts are randomly assigned. If you’ve been nominated, you can find out more about the requirements on the Information for Team Contacts page.
It is expected that you attend all of your scheduled training sessions. Not attending can have a significant impact on skill development and teamwork. Of course, there will be times that you cannot make it due to illness, injury, school events or other commitments. If that is the case, advise your Team Contact as early as possible.
Some notes for attending your first training session:
- You do not have to wear your uniform to training – most players don’t but we do have a few that choose to
- Wear comfortable clothing, preferably shorts and t-shirt or singlet as you will be running
- Make sure you wear appropriate shoes
- Bring your basketball – you will need this for the session
- Check you are using the right size basketball for your age group (see https://edjba.com.au/game-day-overview/ for more information) or ask your coach if you are not sure
- Bring your drink bottle – you will need it!
- If you are under 12, you will need a parent to stay with you at your training session
- If you have young siblings coming to watch, make sure that they have something to do to keep entertained and stay out of the way of the coaching.
The times and venues for Saturday games will change. During the grading period, these will be published on PlayHQ during the week. Once grading is finished, you will get a fixture ahead.
If for any reason you cannot make a game, please let your Team Contact know as soon as possible. This will help them to ensure the team has enough players to take the court and arrange fill ins as necessary.
All parents will be expected to score. Usually, the Team Contact will arrange a scoring roster for the parents. You can find information about scoring on our For Scorers page. If you are unsure about scoring, ask the other parents to assist.
During the game, it is important that players listen to their coach. This will help them build game awareness and skills. While it is very tempting for parents to give advice to their kids during games, this can become confusing. Parents should offer encouragement and cheer for their players, but refrain from coaching or questioning the refs. This makes a more enjoyable situation for all. You are welcome to discuss your child’s progress with the coach after a game, but please do not approach your coach if you have concerns. Remember, they are a volunteer. Any concerns can be address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For your first game:
- Ensure you arrive around 15 minutes prior to the game start time… you will have the opportunity to warm up before your game
- Wear your uniform [Click here to view our uniform page.] and appropriate shoes
- Bring a full drink bottle and make sure you have it on the team bench so you can get to it when needed
- You can bring you basketball – but make sure this is secured with a parent or in a bag during the game
- Have fun!
Please note: Make sure you write your name and phone number on your ball, drink bottle and your jumper.